1. I need the services of Buildings and Grounds to fix or renovate something in my office or room. What do I do?
Go to the B&G Service Request Form (Bard E-mail username and password required). An online form will open. You will need to complete the following fields: BUILDING LOCATION (select from the list of buildings in the drop-down menu);It will show you all the buildings in a drop-down menu, PRIORITY and DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM. A second BUILDING LOCATION field will be automatically filled in from data entered in the first (please don't enter any data). Additionally, we need your permission to enter your room if you are not there, in order to make repairs. Please indicate that permission by clicking on the CHECKBOX.
For B&G to respond effectively and let you know what we are doing and when, it is essential that you complete all of the fields on the service request form. Please do not phone unless it is an emergency. We promise we will respond to you via e-mail. For additional information about this form, you can select the "Help" icon in the top right corner of the Service request window.
2. I would like to order new furniture, get some bookshelves installed, or generally renovate a department and I have no idea who to call or how much it will cost. What do I do?
- Minor repairs, such as a broken window or burned-out lighting, will typically be made without requiring authorization from the budget manager of your department. Simply make your request on the Service Request form.
- Students may have a bookshelf installed in their room, for an expense. It typically takes one week or longer to have done, depending upon the time of the year. Please download the PDF of the Shelf Request Form to be filled out and brought to front office at the Physical Plant.
- Office furniture may or may not need to be included in your next fiscal year project list, depending on the scope of the work and whether you're a new staff member. Requesting furniture is done through Julie Myers at ext. 7518.
- Larger renovation/repairs need to be submitted and reviewed within the context of all the College's fiscal needs. This list will be reviewed by James Brudvig, Vice President of the College, and John Gall, Director of Buildings and Grounds. The project will be estimated and then prioritized for possible inclusion in a future fiscal year's budget. Please keep in mind that we currently have a list of more than 200 projects, so it may take time for your project to make its way to a current year's project list.
3. When do I need to submit my request, be it for furniture or renovations?
Your service request needs to be submitted by January 1 of the year prior to the Bard College fiscal year, which begins July 1.
4. How do I find out if the project has been approved?
We will contact you prior to the beginning of our next fiscal year and tell you if your project has been approved.
5. Who will be receiving this information and/or making decisions about it?
The people who will initially receive the information are Audrey Smith, Connie Gohl, and Melanie Wambach. They will then channel it to either the actual maintenance crew in the appropriate trade, for repair, or to John Gall, Director of Buildings and Grounds, and Jim Brudvig for larger projects.
6. I need a key to access my room, either because I am a new hire, or have lost or misplaced my key, what do I do?
Faculty & Staff Key Policy
- Faculty & Staff Key Sign Out
Key Returns for Faculty & Staff.
- Receive authorization form from Human Resources, Chair of the Department, or Dean’s Office; ID MUST BE PRESENTED
- Fill Out key receipt
- During working hours keys should be returned to Buildings & Grounds Department.
- After working hours keys should be returned to the lock box outside of the Buildings & Grounds Department, or Security.
- Before leaving employment keys should be returned to Human Resources.
Downloadable PDF file for Key Authorization Form for Faculty/Staff
Student Key Policy
- All dorm keys will be issued through Residence Life.
- All keys EXCEPT DORM KEYS will be issued through the Buildings & Grounds Department
Replacement keys will be issued only after receiving a letter from Residence life.
- Receive authorization form from Residence Life or Head of the Department - ID MUST BE PRESENTED.
- A fine of $25.00 will be issued for each key lost which will be paid at Student Accounts.
- Lock change will be done after receiving a key replacement form from Residence Life.
- Residence Life will issue a temporary key to the student if lock change cannot happen right way.
- Students will pick up new keys at Residence Life upon completion of lock change-out, temporary key must be turned in at this time.
Downloadable PDF file for Key Authorization Form for Students