Faculty and students must know their Bard email login name and password and their Bard Information Portal (BIP) 6-digit PIN to participate in on-line registration.For lost PIN or problems accessing BIP, contact the Registrar's Office.For lost email login name or password, contact the Computer Helpdesk at x7500.Students must be financially cleared in order to register.Contact Student Accounts at x7520 if you have any doubts.


On-line Registration, Round One: Thursday, Dec 11 at 6:15 pm - Friday, Dec 12 at midnight


Beginning at 6:15 pm on Thursday, December 11, students and faculty will be able to access the on-line registration system by logging on to BIP.Students will be able to request up to 18 credits.Courses to which a student is already committed, such as FYSEM II and Senior Project II, will count toward that 18 credits.


Faculty log on to BIP to view requests, and respond with "accepted" or "denied".If registration for a course is "denied", the field will re-open and students will be permitted to request registration in another course through the on-line system.If the professor responds with "accepted", the student is then registered for the course and the field is closed.If the professor has not yet responded, the "pending" course will block the field and students will need to wait for a decision before requesting a new course.


Faculty Response:Saturday, Dec 13 - Monday, Dec 15 at noon


Faculty responses should be completed by noon on Monday, December 13.By Tuesday, professors are asked to notify the Registrar's Office of any courses that still have openings so those courses can be listed in round 2.


On-line Registration, Round Two:Tuesday, Dec 16 at 6:15 pm - Wed, Dec 17 at midnight


On-line Registration re-opens for students; only courses that still have space will appear.On-line Registration closes permanently for students at midnight on December 17.Faculty will have until noon on Friday, December 19 to accept or deny the second round of on-line requests.


Open Registration:


Students should first check BIP to see which classes they are officially registered for.In order to drop or add a course after On-line Registration closes, students must bring in a signed Drop/Add Form or a printed email from the professor.To request a signature, students should go to the professor's office (office hours should be posted on the door) or email the professor to arrange an appointment.There will be a Drop/Add period at the beginning of the spring semester for additional changes.††



FYSEM II and Senior Project Registration:


FYSEM II request forms will be in first-year mailboxes on Monday, December 15.

Completed FYSEM forms are due back to the Registrar's Office by noon on Wednesday, December 17.

Seniors enrolled in Senior Project I will be automatically registered for Senior Project II.

Students who need to register for Senior Project I should go to the Registrar's Office to complete the Application for Senior Status and the Senior Project I Registration Form.



Special Situations:


If students want to register for more than 18 credits, they must submit a signed Irregular Program Form.Students are required to have a 3.6 GPA to enroll in more than 18 credits.Additional charges apply for more than 20 credits.††††

To register for tutorials, special projects, or music lessons, use a Drop/Add Form.

Students wishing to pursue a joint major (two programs of study with one senior project) must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and approval by the Executive Committee (form available in the Registrar's Office).




A standard course load is 16 credits (four 4-credit courses, or the equivalent) per semester. First-year and transfer students may register for no more than 18 credits in their first semester.Returning students with a 3.6 average or better may petition to enroll in more than 18 credits. There is an additional charge for every credit over 20. Contact Students Accounts concerning charges for auditing classes.





100 level courses

Most 100 level courses are open to all students without prerequisite. However, some of these courses do require some background in the subject or, in the case of introductory photography, writing, and studio art courses, the submission of a portfolio. Check individual course descriptions for details.


200 level courses

Many 200 level courses are also open to all students without prerequisite. However, in some programs there are strict prerequisites, and the courses are only open to students with sophomore standing or higher. Check individual course descriptions for details.


300 and 400 level courses

Most 300 and 400 level courses have stated pre-requisites, and are open only to students who have a background in the subject.Upper College Seminars for moderated students meet once per week and are limited to an enrollment of 15 students.


Prior to the start of course registration have a list of courses you wish to take, as well as a list of alternatives in case you are not able to get into your first choices.


You must be financially clear in order to register.If you are not clear please go to the Office of Student Accounts.


Students will be billed for every credit over 20. The equivalent of 4 credits may be audited at no charge, audits in excess of 4 credits will be billed. See Students Accounts for specifics.


Prior to registration, collect any forms you may need from the Office of the Registrar, Ludlow 201. These forms include:

††††††††††† Irregular Program Form: needed if you wish to register for more than 18 credits (you must have a GPA of 3.6 or above, or if you intend to be a part-time student.

††††††††††† Independent Study Proposal: independent studies differ from tutorials because the research and writing is done almost entirely on your own. Executive Committee approval and a faculty sponsor are required.

††††††††††† Change of Adviser Form:Obtain the signature of the new adviser on the change of adviser form.


Advisers will receive a list of their adviseesí courses for approval. If approved the adviser will sign and return the form to the Registrar.


If there are problems with registration you should talk to one of the following people:

Registrar: Peter Gadsby, Ludlow 207, x7457

Dean of Studies: David Shein, Sottery, x7045

Associate Registrar: Diane Smith, Ludlow 200, x7459