First-Year Seminar registration will be accomplished with the Advising/FYSEM form distributed in week 2 of L&T.


Thursday, August 28:

                10:30 – 12:00 Group Advising Sessions

Meet in small groups with your academic adviser to discuss academic program requirements and opportunities for study in the first year, and to schedule an individual advising session.


Friday, August 29:

                9:00 – 12:30   Course Consultation

Faculty advisers representing each program will be available in their offices to meet with students who have questions about courses or programs, or for additional advising questions.

                1:30 – 3:30 Registration for Fall 2014 semester

                Faculty will be available in classrooms to sign registration cards.


Special Situations:


·         If students want to register for more than 18 credits, they must submit a signed Irregular Program Form.  Students are required to have a 3.6 GPA to enroll in more than 18 credits.  Additional charges apply for more than 20 credits.   First year and transfer students may not register for more than 18 credits. 

·         To register for tutorials, special projects, or music lessons, use the Drop/Add Form. Check with Student Accounts to determine if there will be a fee for audits.

·         Students wishing to pursue a joint major (two programs of study with one senior project) must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and approval by the Executive Committee (form available in the Registrar's Office).




A standard course load is 16 credits (four 4-credit courses, or the equivalent) per semester. First-year and transfer students may register for no more than 18 credits in their first semester.  Returning students with a 3.6 average or better may petition to enroll in more than 18 credits. There is an additional charge for every credit over 20. Contact Students Accounts concerning charges for auditing classes.



100 level courses

Most 100 level courses are open to all students without prerequisite. However, some of these courses do require some background in the subject or, in the case of introductory photography, writing, and studio art courses, the submission of a portfolio. Check individual course descriptions for details.

200 level courses

Many 200 level courses are also open to all students without prerequisite. However, in some programs there are strict prerequisites, and the courses are only open to students with sophomore standing or higher. Check individual course descriptions for details.

300 and 400 level courses

Most 300 and 400 level courses have stated pre-requisites, and are open only to students who have a background in the subject.  Upper College Seminars for moderated students meet once per week and are limited to an enrollment of 15 students. 


v  Prior to the start of course registration have a list of courses you wish to take, as well as a list of alternatives in case you are not able to get into your first choices.


v   You must be financially clear in order to register.  If you are not clear please go to the Office of Student Accounts.


v  Students will be billed for every credit over 20. The equivalent of 4 credits may be audited at no charge, audits in excess of 4 credits will be billed. See Students Accounts for specifics.


v  Prior to registration, collect any forms you may need from the Office of the Registrar, Ludlow 201. These forms include:

                        Irregular Program Form: needed if you wish to register for more than 18 credits (you must have a GPA of 3.6 or above, or if you intend to be a part-time student.

                        Independent Study Proposal: independent studies differ from tutorials because the research and writing is done almost entirely on your own. Executive Committee approval and a faculty sponsor are required.

        Change of Adviser Form:  Obtain the signature of the new adviser on the change of adviser form.


v  Advisers will receive a list of their advisees’ courses for approval. If approved the adviser will sign and return the form to the Registrar.


If there are problems with registration you should talk to one of the following people:

Registrar: Peter Gadsby, Ludlow 207, x7457 

Dean of Studies: David Shein, Sottery, x7045

Associate Registrar: Diane Smith, Ludlow 200, x7459