By the time of moderation, all music majors will be expected to have taken one semester of Performance Workshop and one semester of Composition Workshop, two semesters of music theory and two semesters of music history courses.† (The type of theory and history courses needs to be worked out with the studentís advisor.)† Those concentrating in composition will be expected to take two semesters of Composition Workshop before moderation.
After moderation, composers will take four semesters of either individual tutorials or small group tutorials (Special Projects) and performers four semesters of individual lessons in addition to their normal load of ensemble/performance activities. Additionally, one more semester of theory and history will be required after moderation.
For a Moderation Project, students usually give a concert of about 40-60 minutes of their own music and/or other composersí music.† Occasionally, a substantial history or theory paper is accepted as a moderation project.†
The Senior Project consists of two concerts and/or a paper on music theory or history.
All matriculated Bard students may be eligible to receive academic credit and scholarships for private instrumental or voice lessons. The choice of teachers is to be worked out on a case by case basis by the student and the Music Department. The teacher and student arrange payments and schedule.
Requirements for academic credit:
1) Registered, matriculated Bard College student
2) Assignment of grade, based on performance in a departmental concert or audition by an evaluating panel at the end of each semester.
3) Participation in a music course that provides the student a larger forum of music making. A waiver of this requirement is possible in certain circumstances and is subject to Music Department review.
Credits awarded for the courses:
††††††††††††††† Lessons:††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 2 credits
††††††††††††††† Performance class†††††††††††† 2 credits
††††††††††††††† Ensembles†††††††††† ††††††††††††††† 1 or 2 credits (check description)
††††††††††††††† Chorus†††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††† 1 credit
Requirements for scholarship:
1) Selection for scholarship by departmental evaluating panel, either through performance in a departmental concert or through audition.
2) Registration in an ensemble or performance class.
3) Maximum of $20.00 per lesson (towards lesson cost) available, applied as credit to studentís Bard account.